This dairy-free flatbread is covered in luscious caramelized onions, mushrooms and spinach and is the perfect alternative to pizza for those who can’t have dairy!
Onion, Mushroom & Spinach Flatbread
Last month I shared with you my recipe for a dairy-free flatbread crust. I’m so excited about how good this crust is– it’s such a great alternative to the fathead dough that’s often used in ketogenic cooking.
I love a good fathead crust, but it’s really heavy on the dairy, and dairy can be really problematic for some people.
But with this recipe, I swear you will not miss the cheese!
I discovered this combination of toppings first when I made Coca, and that’s when I found out that caramelized onions have a fabulous unctuous quality that makes a great stand-in for cheese.
The first step in creating this flatbread recipe is to make the dough and let it rest. While it’s resting, we start caramelizing the onions.
Ok, I’m not going to tell you that caramelizing onions is quick. It’s not. But you don’t have to babysit them. Heat some avocado oil over medium-low heat in a cast iron skillet, then add the onions. Sprinkle with salt and cover them.
Be very sure the heat is low to medium-low. You’ll need to stir every 10-15 minutes or so. It will probably take about 30-40 minutes for them to caramelize.
When they’re most of the way to caramelized, add the mushrooms. You’ll need to stir more consistently now, and cook until the mushrooms are brown.
After you throw the mushrooms in the skillet, bake the rested dough for about 5 minutes.
For best results, use a pizza stone.
Add in some roughly-chopped spinach and cook until wilted.
Once the dough has baked for 5 minutes, you can add the onion mixture and then bake it for another 7 minutes or until the edges are nicely browned.
After that, it’s just a matter of slicing and serving. Slice in small rectangles like you see above for an easy appetizer, or make bigger squares for dinner sized portions!
- Cut onions in half and slice thinly into half-moon shapes. Dice mushrooms finely and roughly chop spinach.
- Prepare flatbread crust according to instructions, up until resting.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). For best results, place a pizza stone in the oven as it heats.
- While flatbread dough is resting, place a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat and add avocado oil. Once oil is hot, add onion. Add a sprinkling of salt and stir.
- Cover. Stir every 15 minutes or so until onions are nearly caramelized.
- Add mushrooms and stir. Cook until mushrooms are browned.
- Place flatbread dough (on parchment) on pizza stone and bake for 5 minutes.
- While flatbread dough is baking, add spinach to skillet with onions and mushrooms, and cook until wilted. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Remove flatbread from oven, top with onion mixture and return to oven for another 7 minutes.
- Cut into slices and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 271 Total Fat: 23.2g Saturated Fat: 2.2g Sodium: 755mg Carbohydrates: 15.7g Net Carbohydrates: 5.8g Fiber: 9.9g Sugar: 3.5g Protein: 8.5g